TNPSC Current Affairs July 2017
1. Sri Lankan government banned bottom trawling.
Sri Lankan Government has amended the Fisheries and Aquatic Resources act, as per the amendment it has banned destructive fishing practice of water trawling in their waters and imposed a fine of 50,000 lankan rupees with upto 2 years imprisonment if there is any breach.
The new rule will expect to affect a section of Indian fisherman engage in bottom trawling.
Bottom Trawling and its impact:
- Bottom Trawling is the main issue between Indian and Srilankan Fisherman.
- Bottom Trawling is a trawling along the sea floor using heavily weighted nets, which is considered very bad in fishing circles as it wipes out everything in their path including coral reefs, sea grasses or rock gardens which fish hide from predators.
- Bottom trawling will end up many creatures mistakenly including endangered fish and even vulnerable corals which can live for several years.
- It also destroys large areas of seafloor habitat which give food and shelter to marine species and this will leave the marine ecosystem permanently damaged
2.Government launched Student-Scientist connect programme – JIGYASA
Central Government has launched student-scientist connecting programme called JIGYASA, with the focus on connecting school students and scientists to extend classroom learning with well-planned research laboratory based learning.
As per the programme, 1151 Kendriya Vidyalaya sangathan(KV) will be connected to 38 CSIR(Council of Scientific and Industrial Research) research laboratories across the country.
Programme will target more than 1 Lakh students and 100 teachers annually.
3.Coast guards inducts two interceptor boats.
Indian Coast Guard has commissioned two interceptor boats in the Coast Guard Eastern region to strengthen coastal security.
The two boats C 431 and C 432 will be used for patrolling and surveillance, search and rescue operation, humanitarian assistance, anti-terror, anti-smuggling operations and fisheries protection and monitoring and more.
4.Manpreet Kaur Won Gold Medal in shot put at Asian Athletics Championships 2017.
Manpreet Kaur has won the first Gold Medal for India in Shot put at Asian Athletics Championships 2017 .