TNPSC Current Affairs March 2017
TN Government to replace 10% of existing agricultural pump with energy efficient pumps
Tamil Nadu Government planning to replace the 10 per cent of existing agricultural pump with energy efficient pumps under UDAY scheme.
Tamil Nadu has recently joined the Central Government sponsoring UDAY (Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana) scheme has committed to replace at least 10 Per cent of existing agricultural pump set with energy efficient pumps by March 2019.
- In 2010 the then government has provided energy efficient free pumps to around 15 lakhs farmers but the use of pump came to exit few years later
- Farmers are eligible for free electricity only if they use upto 5 horse power pumps to draw underground water.
- But the ground water depleting rapidly, farmers are pushed to use high power more than 5hp capacity pumps to draw water.
- If government replace the existing pumps with energy efficient pumps, it will difficult to draw water from underground because capacity of energy efficient pumps are only up to 5 horse power.
What is UDAY?
Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana is a central Government Scheme to financial turnaround and revival package for electricity distribution companies of India to get permanent solution for financial Crisis for Electricity board. It is introduced in November 2015 by Power, Coal & New Renewable Energy, Minister of State, Shri Piyush Goyal.
Four Important Initiatives:
- Improving Operational efficiencies
- Reduction of Cost Power
- Reduction of Interest Cost
- Enforcing Financial Discipline