TNPSC Current Affairs June 2017
Nitin Gadkari , Union Minister of Shipping, Road Transport & Highways has inaugurated multiple projects worth of Rs 2,50,0000 crore under Sagarmala at Kamarajar Port in Tamil Nadu.
About Projects and its benefits:
- New Container Terminal worth rs 1270 crore which will provide more container handling facility for traders, will increase trade, provide new jobs and increase the local economy
- New Cargo Terminal project worth Rs 151 crore which will provide more multi, cargo handling facility for traders, will increase trade, provide new jobs and increase the local economy
- The Rail Connectivity to Container and Multi Cargo Terminal project will improve cargo movement through rail route, and reduce logistics cost also reduce the congestion in Road.
- RFID System project will enhance the Ease of doing Business for traders which lead to reduction of time and congestion in cargo traffic and enhance the port operations.
About Sagarmala Project:
- The Aim of the project is to promote port-led direct and indirect development and to provide infrastructure to transport goods to and from ports quickly, efficiently and cost-effectively.
- It will focus on 3 main areas,Supporting and enabling Port-led Development through appropriate policy and institutional interventions and providing for an institutional framework for ensuring inter-agency and ministries/departments/states’ collaboration for integrated development.
- Port Infrastructure Enhancement, including modernization and setting up of new port
- Efficient Evacuation to and from hinterland.