TNPSC Current Affairs May 2017
VOCP Trust and TANGEDCO Sign MoU to upgrade Coal Jetty-I&II .
V.O.Chidambaranar Port (VOCP) trust and TANGEDCO(Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding for upgradation of Coal Jetty I and II. The Agreement is set for a four-fold increase in the capacity of 2 of its Coal Jetties I and II from 6.25 MTPA to 24 MTPA (Millions tonnes per annum).
- The Project will help to handle addition volume of coal effectively which will bring down logistics costs.
- It also helps in cheaper production of electricity and hence enhances the economic growth
- The upgradation of Jetties, will help TANGEDCO to handle additional volume of Coal Cargo for the upcoming new power plants in Uppur and Kadaladi in Ramanathapuram District in Tamil Nadu.
- Also there will be a quicker turnaround of vehicles with the deployment of high tech handling equipment’s like two ship unloaders, each with a minimum 2000 TPH capacity and a high capacity conveyor system of 4000 TPH.
- The project is the outcome of Ministry of Shipping’s Project Unnati, under which a study, ‘Unlocking National Ports Potential’ was done to improve the handling capacity of Coal Jetties.