TNPSC Current Affairs May 2017
1.Union Government has declared ASSAM as ‘Disturbed’ Area Under AFSPA for 3 More Months
The Union Government has declared the entire Assam as Disturbed area under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act –the AFSPA for three months. The decision was taken due to various violent activities taken place by insurgent groups ULFA,NDFA and others
AS per official report, in 2016 there were 75 incidents of violence in Assam in which 33 people, including four security personnel, were killed and 14 others were abducted. In 2017 there were 9 violent incidents in the state in which 4 people, including two security personnel were killed.
- Armed Force (Special Powers) act was enacted in 1958 due to Naga insurgency, Which provide some special powers to armed force to control the situation and help to maintain the law and order.
- The Special powers which give powers to the armed forces to arrest without warrant, shoot to kill, search houses, in areas declared as disturbed by Central Government.
- It was first implemented in Assam due to NAGA insurgency in 1958.
2.Quality of water improved in India-World Water Council.
World Water Council(WWC) said that the Quality of drinking water in India has improved in the last 5 years but a lot of work still remains to be done.
.WWC recently carried out a survey on water awareness in most parts of the world, it was done ahead of the 8th World water forum which is scheduled to take place in Brasilia, Brazil in 2018.
- As per survey , 31 Per Cent of Indians said that they are in situation where it was unsafe to drink water but they had no other choice.
- 71 Per cent of Indians said that they are drinking safe water and it has improved in last 5 years
- 62 Per cent believed that government has taken necessary step to access to safe drinking water.
About World Water Council.
World Water Council is an internaitonal organization which fights for better water management across the world. It was formed in 1996,it headquarters is in Marseille, France. It conducts world water forum once in every 3 year, the first World Water forum held in Marrakech, Morocco in 1997.
Post a Comment