TNPSC Current Affairs March 2017
Major Rohit Suri awarded Kirti chakra award
Major Rohit Suri has awarded the second highest Peace time Gallantry award Kirti Chakra by President Pranab Mukherjee in the ceremony held in Durbar hall of Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Rohit Suri has led the army which carried out surgical strike in Pakistan occupied Kashmir 2016.
The surgical strike is response for the attack by terrorists belonging to the Pakistani jihadi group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) struck at an Indian Army camp in Uri.
About Kirti Chakra Award:
- Kirti Chakra is an second highest Peace time Gallantry award after Ashoka Chakra was awarded for Valour, courageous action or self-sacrifice in battle.
- It was previously known as Ashoka Chara ,class II award and it was established in 1952.
- It is given to both civilians and military personnel including posthumous awards.
- It was renamed to Kirti Chakra in 1967.
- Col N.J Nair is the only soldier who has been awarded both Kiti chakra and Ashoka Chara till date.