TNPSC Current Affairs March 2017
ISRO commissions world's third largest hyper sonic wind tunnel at VSSC.
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has created history by commissioning world’s third largest hyper-sonic wind tunnel and shock tunnel at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Trivandrum.
ISRO chairman Kiran kumar said after commissioning, the facility will provide enough data for design and development of current and future space transportation system.
- This facility will help to study the effect of air flow past a solid object of space vehicles.
- It will play a vital role in providing enough data for design and development of future ISRO’s missions like Re-usable launch vehicles, 2 stage to orbit air-breathing propulsion systems, human space flights. It also will help to minimize the cost of access to space.
- Space vehicles fly much faster and often cross the speed of sound, the re-entry into the atmosphere is at higher Mach numbers, modelling of which is quite complex. This facility will simulate the Aero-thermal environment in which characterization of the vehicle carried out.
- 1 metre of hyper-sonic wind tunnel simulate flow of speeds of Mach 6 to 12 and the 1 Metre of shock tunnel simulates flight speed of 4.5 kilometre per/sec.
- Only US and Russia has bigger than India’s Hyper-sonic facility.