TNPSC English Study Material
1. Verb - Action or State
Example- Learn, Attend, was, were, scold, walk…
2. Noun – It denotes a Person, place or thing,
Example- Bike, brother, college, road, Police etc
3. Adjective – which describes a Noun
Example – Hardworking, three, Active, Young, upset, brand new
My sister has ten apples.
I am Fifteen years old.
4. Adverb- Which describes a verb, an adjective or an adverb.
Example – Always, regularly, along, often, etc.
5. Pronoun- which replaces noun
Example – She, he, her, they , you, their
6. Preposition- which links a noun to another word.
Example- To, in, with , from , on, of.
7. Conjunction – Join clauses and sentences.
Example- and , but, when
Let us see the Different types of nouns Proper Nouns, Common nouns ,Abstract nouns, Material Nouns.
Proper Nouns is a word that names specific people , things or places.
Example- Chennai, Sachin
Common Nouns – which has common name
Example- Girl, Brother, Men, Bicycle etc
Abstract Nouns- which means the name of a Quality, which we cannot see, smell, hear or touch but can feel
Example- Love, Beauty, Sleep, Honesty.
Material Noun- it is the name of the material with which a thing is made of,
Example- Cotton, Wood, Steel etc.
1. John Wrote a Poem
2. They play Cricket.
3. Kumar Bought a Football Yesterday
4. I met my friend near bus stop.
5. The lake is beautiful.
In Sentence 1, John is the doer of the action , we call John as Subject(S)
In 2, Play is the action word, we call play the verb(V)
In 3, Football answer the question ‘What’ we say Football as Object(O)
In 4 , My friend question ‘Whom’- we call Object(O)
In 5, Beautiful is describing word, which tell us more about the subject, we call as Subject Complement(C)
Example for Complement(C)
Look at the below sentences,
1.You are kind.
2.Sawetha is a doctor.
Complement can be a noun or an Adjective, it also helps to complete the meaning of the sentence.
Note the underlined words,
1. Ganesh reads his lessons Regularly.
2. Dinesh painted the picture carefully
3. He wrote me a letter yesterday.
The Underlined words tell us how and when a particular action is done. This word is called Adjunct.
Mari handled the glasses carefully
S V O A