TNPSC Current Affairs May 2017
Tamil Nadu Ranks low in ease of doing solar business.
Tamil Nadu ranks low in ease of doing solar business, but still Tamil Nadu leads in fast growing solar State. As per latest report from Bridge to India, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu have come at the bottom on ease of doing business in the solar sector and Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat are the top 3 states in ease of doing business in Solar Sector.
About India Solar Handbook 2017 survey
- As per latest India Solar Handbook 2017 released by Bridge to India, India is set to become the 3rd biggest solar energy market worldwide by 2017 overtaking Japan.
- The solar Energy is expected to touch 18.7 GW by 2017, it is 89 per cent up comparing to 2016.
- It also said that there will be addition of 56GW solar capacity in next 5 years, which is fall short of its 100 GW target.
- Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have emerged as the fastest growing States in solar energy.
- Survey also said that, in 2017, nearly 60 Per cent of total new capacity addition is expected to come from the southern States.
Tamil Nadu’s Stand:
- Tamil Nadu has a solar capacity of 1,600 MW and has ambitious target to achieve 3,000 MW of capacity .
- The 648-MW Kamuthi Solar Power project, located at Kamuthi, Ramanathapuram district claims to be the largest project in a single location.
- Tamil Nadu is tagged as the fastest solar energy growing state, but it is ranked poorly in ease of doing business.
Reason behind poor ranking:
- Implementation of solar project was non-transparent in Tamil Nadu.
- It also fixed tariffs very high of Rs 7.01 comparing to other states which run auction of about Rs 5- 5.50.
- Also Tenders have been poorly designed and subsequently had poor response. There was also a delay in payments.
Post a Comment