TNPSC Current Affairs April 2017
1 Crore MGNREGA assets Geo-tagged
Ministry of Rural Development has achieved reaching a new milestone by geotagging one Crore assets under MGNREGA. The Geotagged assets have been put in public Domain.
- To monitor the assets created under MGNREGA the rural job guarantee scheme, the ministry of rural development and the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) signed an agreement on geo-tagging the assets.
- Geo Tagging is the process of adding geographical identification of the work and bring to notice the amount spent on it and the number of people on the job and how it looks.
- It helps in online recording and monitoring of assets created under rural job scheme to check leakages and lead to more transparency and ensure accountability at ground level .
- Around 3 million assets are created annually across the country under the rural jobs scheme.
- Gram Rozgar Sahayak or junior engineer will take a photo of an asset created by the scheme and will upload the photo on the mobile app “Bhuvan” web portal which is created by ISRO.
- Once the photo is uploaded, the location and time will get encoded and there will be an option to add more information according to parameters.