TNPSC Current Affairs March 2017
Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Leaders' Summit 2017 held in Jakarta
The First ever Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Leader’s summit held in Jakarta, Indonesia. The theme of this year’s conference is “Strengthening Maritime Cooperation for a peaceful, Stable and Prosperous Indian Ocean”.
This was the 20th anniversary of the Association. Vice-President Hamid Ansari has attended the conference from India.
About the Outcome:
- Indian Ocean Rim Association leaders has signed in IORA Concord for vision of IORA, focussing particular on Cooperation among the IORA member States on Maritime Safety and Security.
- The other outcome is Declaration on preventing violent Extremism and Countering Terrorism
- The last was for the Action plan of IORA for the next Five years.
- IORA is formerly known as Indian Ocean Rim Initiative and Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation (IOR-ARC). It is an international organization which consists of countries bordering Indian Ocean.
- Its objective to promote sustainable and balanced growth, and focused on the area which provide maximum opportunities for development.
- It also promote economic co-operation, bringing together inter-alia representatives of Member States, businesses, academia and also social development of the region.
- IORA(Indian Ocean Rim Association) has 21 member states, including Australia, Bangladesh, Comoros, India, Indonesia, Iran, Kenya, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mozambique, Oman, Seychelles, Singapore, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, UAE, and Yemen.