TNPSC Current Affairs July 2017
1.India Celebrates Van Mahotsav
Dr Harsh Vardhan, Environment Minister has launched a plantation drive to mark Van Mahotsav . Van Mahotsav is usually observe in first week of July every year and is celebrated on different days in different regions of country. It aims to keep local people involved in plantation drives and spread environmental awareness.
Environment Minister urged the people to plant native trees because they readily adapt the Indian climate, integrate into the eco-system, have a high survival rate and are helpful in supporting local birds, insect and animals.
About Van Mahotsav:
- Van Mahotsav was first started in 1950 with tree plantation drive.
- It was started by then Union Minister for Agriculture and food, Dr. K.M Munshi to create awareness and importance to people for conserving forest and planting trees
- From then every year, Van Mahotsav observed in the first week of July every year.
- .The Aim of celebrating Van Mahotsav is to keep local people involved in plantation drives and spread environmental awareness.
- Various programmes like screening of short films and documentaries, seminars and exhibition, painting and poster competitions are also organised to mark the occasion( Van Mahotsav)
2.India, Israel signed seven Key Agreements.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who became the first Indian prime minister to visit the Israel, signed seven key agreements to boost bilateral cooperation in key areas like science and technology, water, research and space between both nations.
About the Agreements:
- A Memorandum of Understanding between India's Department of Science and Technology and Israel's National Technological Innovation Authority to set up the India-Israel Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund with a worth of $40 billion.
- An Memorandum of Understanding between India's Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation and Israel's Ministry of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources on National Campaign for Water Conservation in India
- An Memorandum of Understanding between the Uttar Pradesh Jal Nigam of India and Israel's Ministry of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources on State Water Utility Reform in India
- Memorandum of Understanding between India-Israel Development Cooperation - Three Year Work Program in Agriculture 2018-2020
- Cooperation between the Indian Space Research Organisation and the Israel Space Agency regarding cooperation in Atomic clocks
- An Memorandum of Understanding between ISRO and the ISA regarding cooperation in GEO-LEO Optical Link
- An Memorandum of Understanding between ISRO and the ISA regarding cooperation in Electric Propulsion for small satellites