TNPSC Current Affairs July 2017,4
Annual Malabar exercise which involve India, US and Japan will kick start from July 10. The exercise aims to increase deeper military ties and interoperability among the three navies and develop common understanding of procedures for Maritime Security Operations in the strategically important Indo-Pacific region.
About Malabar Exercise:
- It is a Trilateral Naval Exercise which includes India, US and Japan.
- It was begun in 1992 as a bilateral naval exercise between India and US, later in 2015 Japan has included as permanent member.
- The past non-member participants are Singapore and Australia.
- The exercise will take place alternatively in Indian and western Pacific Ocean.
- The exercise will be held in two phases, Harbour phase and at Sea Phase.
- The exercise includes diverse activities including complex surface, sub-surface and air operations
- It will help maritime security in the Indo-pacific region which will benefit the global maritime community.