TNPSC Current Affairs June 2017
1.ISRO launched GSAT-17 heaviest satellite from French Guiana
Indian Space Research Organisation has successfully launched 3477 kg GSAT-17 Communication satellite using the European Ariane 5 Launch Vehicle from Kourou, French Guiana.
It carries communication payloads in C-band, Extended C-band and S-band for providing various services to the country, also it carries equipment for meteorological data relay and satellite based search and rescue services.
GSLV-17 is designed to provide continuity of services on two ageing operational satellites in C-band, Extended C-band and S-bands.
ISRO, is developing GSLV MkII launch vehicle to launch the heaviest satellites, to avoid depending on Ariane-5 rocket.
This is the 21st satellite from ISRO launched by Arianespace.
2.TN Chief Minister Announces new power projects:
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami has announced a setting up of ultra-mega solar photovoltaic power park and new power projects.
About the Announcement:
- Project includes, 500 MW solar park will be set up in Narippurai in Ramanathapuram District with the cost of Rs 2,350 Cr.
- 400 Kw substation will be set up at Manalmedu, Nagapattinam at a cost of Rs 650 Cr.
- 400 Kw substation will be set up at Koyembedu , Chennai at a cost of Rs 1,300 Cr, also undertaking strengthening and upgrading of electricity department.
- Also setting up of a multi-modal logistics park at a cost of ₹1,295 crore at Puzhuthivakkam and Vayalur villages in Tiruvallur district.
3.TN-IAMWARM water management project:
Tamil Nadu Irrigated Agriculture Modernization and Water-Bodies Restoration and Management (TN-IAMWARM) is a unique project funded by World Bank and implemented in motto of maximizing the productivity of water leading to improved farm incomes and products in Tamil Nadu.
Objective of project:
- The main objective of project is, improving irrigation service delivery including adaptation of modern water-saving irrigation technologies and agricultural practices;
- The project will help in forming water users associations and involving farmers on water resources management;
- It also makes Agricultural intensification and diversification;
- It will help in Strengthening institutions and instruments dealing with water resources management.