TNPSC Current Affairs June 2017
Indian Space Research Organisation(ISRO) has successfully launched the 712 kg Cartosat-2 series satellite along with 30 satellites. These satellites were launched by PSLV-C38 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota. It was 39th consecutively successful mission of PSLV.
PSLV –C38 carried one of the 30 co-passenger was the 15 kg NIUSAT, a University/Academic Institute satellite from Nurul Islam University, Tamil Nadu, India. The remaining 29 co-passenger satellites from USA -10, United Kingdom -3 , Belgium -3, Italy-3, and one each from Austria ,Chile, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia
About Cartosat :
- Cartosat Series of Satellite is an earth observation satellite built indigenously by India mainly intended for cartographic application.
- Cartosat is a combination of Cartography( means study and practice of making maps) and Satellite.
- It will be very useful for Earth’s resource management and monitoring.
- It is useful in useful for cartographic applications, urban and rural applications, coastal land use and regulation, utility management like road network monitoring, water distribution, creation of land use maps and more.
- Till now ISRO has launched 6 satellite in Cartosat Series, Cartosat 1 in 2005, Cartosat 2 in 2007, Cartosat 2A in 2008, Cartosat 2B in 2010, Cartosat 2C in 2014, Cartosat 2D in Feb 2017 and Cartosat 2E launched today.