TNPSC Current Affairs May 2017
Indian Army Test-Fires Advanced Block III Version of BrahMos Cruise Missile
The Indian Army has successfully test fired the advanced Block II version of the BrahMos land attack Cruise Missile in Andaman and Nicobar Island.
It was tested in steep-dive mode as part of its capability enhancement endeavour. It was the fourth successful launch of the Block-II version of the BrahMos land attack cruise missile.
As per official statement, the test has met all it parameters, the supersonic cruise missile successfully hit the land-based target with desired precision in a top attack configuration
- Brhamos is a Joint venture between India’s DRDO and Russia’s NPOM.
- BRahMos was named after river Brahmaputra in India and Moskova river in Russia
- BrahMos is a two stage missile ,first stage has the solid propellant booster engine and second stage has the ramjet liquid propellant. It can travel at thrice the speed of sound and carry warheads weighing upto 300 kg.
- The first stage ,solid propellant booster engine will gives the supersonic fast then it gets separated and second stage, ramjet liquid propellant will take the missile closer with 3 Mach speed
- Most of the frontline ships of Indian Navy, like the Kolkata, Ranvir and Teg classes of ships, are capable of firing this missile.
- This missile will provide Indian Naval Ships the capability to precisely neutralise selected targets deep inland, far away from coast, from stand-off ranges at sea.