TNPSC Current Affairs May 2017
1.VOCP Trust and TANGEDCO Sign MoU to upgrade Coal Jetty-I&II .
V.O.Chidambaranar Port (VOCP) trust and TANGEDCO(Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding for upgradation of Coal Jetty I and II. The Agreement is set for a four-fold increase in the capacity of 2 of its Coal Jetties I and II from 6.25 MTPA to 24 MTPA (Millions tonnes per annum).
- The Project will help to handle addition volume of coal effectively which will bring down logistics costs.
- It also helps in cheaper production of electricity and hence enhances the economic growth
- The upgradation of Jetties, will help TANGEDCO to handle additional volume of Coal Cargo for the upcoming new power plants in Uppur and Kadaladi in Ramanathapuram District in Tamil Nadu.
- Also there will be a quicker turnaround of vehicles with the deployment of high tech handling equipment’s like two ship unloaders, each with a minimum 2000 TPH capacity and a high capacity conveyor system of 4000 TPH.
- The project is the outcome of Ministry of Shipping’s Project Unnati, under which a study, ‘Unlocking National Ports Potential’ was done to improve the handling capacity of Coal Jetties.
2. NHAI signs MoU with TIDCO for Development of Multimodal Logistics Park in TN.
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) signed an Memorandum of Understanding with the Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation Limited (TIDCO) for the development of a Multimodal Logistics park in the Ponneri (Thiruvalluvar District) Industrial Node area near Kamarajar port in Tamil Nadu.
About Multimodal logistics park
- The project was developed by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways under its Logistics Efficiency Enhancement Programme (LEEP) .
- The programme is undertaken in 15 location all over India at a cost of Rs 33,000 Crore.
- The aim of project is to reduce the time lose and wastage in handling when you shift from one mode of transport to another mode. Multimodal logistics park will have all modes of transports.
- Chennai (Ponneri Industrial Node) region will get Rs 1,295 Crore to develop a Logistics Parks.
- The Logistics park will bring down the overall freight costs, reduce vehicular pollution and congestion and will enable reduction of warehousing costs.
- In Simple the proposed logistics park will expected to result in lower logistics costs.
3.Indian Navy and Space Application Centre, has signed MoU.
Indian Navy and Space Application Centre signed a Memorandum of Understanding on Data Sharing and Scientific Cooperation in the Field of Meteorology and Oceanology at Space Application center, Ahmedabad.
- The Scientific advancement and expertise achieved by Space application centre would be synergised into the Indian Navy’s efforts to keep the country’s defence forces in step with rapid development in the field of Environment Sciences and Satellite Data acquisition technology.
- The cooperation include, sharing of non-confidential observational data for pre-launch sensor calibration and post launch satellite data validation.
- Operational use of Space application center generated weather products, provisioning expertise for installation of various satellite data processing modules at Naval METOC organisations.
- It also Carrying out calibration and validation for ocean models, transfer of technology to generate weather information, training on latest technology and sharing of subject matter experts between the organisations for effective knowledge transfer.