TNPSC Current Affairs May 2017
NHAI signs MoU with TIDCO for Development of Multimodal Logistics Park in TN.
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) signed an Memorandum of Understanding with the Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation Limited (TIDCO) for the development of a Multimodal Logistics park in the Ponneri (Thiruvalluvar District) Industrial Node area near Kamarajar port in Tamil Nadu.
About Multimodal logistics park
- The project was developed by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways under its Logistics Efficiency Enhancement Programme (LEEP) .
- The programme is undertaken in 15 location all over India at a cost of Rs 33,000 Crore.
- The aim of project is to reduce the time lose and wastage in handling when you shift from one mode of transport to another mode. Multimodal logistics park will have all modes of transports.
- Chennai (Ponneri Industrial Node) region will get Rs 1,295 Crore to develop a Logistics Parks.
- The Logistics park will bring down the overall freight costs, reduce vehicular pollution and congestion and will enable reduction of warehousing costs.
- In Simple the proposed logistics park will expected to result in lower logistics costs.