TNPSC Current Affairs March 2017
1.ISRO commissions world's third largest hyper sonic wind tunnel at VSSC.
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has created history by commissioning world’s third largest hyper-sonic wind tunnel and shock tunnel at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Trivandrum.
ISRO chairman Kiran kumar said after commissioning, the facility will provide enough data for design and development of current and future space transportation system.
- This facility will help to study the effect of air flow past a solid object of space vehicles.
- It will play a vital role in providing enough data for design and development of future ISRO’s missions like Re-usable launch vehicles, 2 stage to orbit air-breathing propulsion systems, human space flights. It also will help to minimize the cost of access to space.
- Space vehicles fly much faster and often cross the speed of sound, the re-entry into the atmosphere is at higher Mach numbers, modelling of which is quite complex. This facility will simulate the Aero-thermal environment in which characterization of the vehicle carried out.
- 1 metre of hyper-sonic wind tunnel simulate flow of speeds of Mach 6 to 12 and the 1 Metre of shock tunnel simulates flight speed of 4.5 kilometre per/sec.
- Only US and Russia has bigger than India’s Hyper-sonic facility.
2.India ranked 131 on UN development report 2016.
India has been ranked 131 on united nation development Programme (UNDP) 2016 among 188 countries in Human development as per the latest human development report released by UNDP.
- The human development index which ranks the countries based on following such as life expectancy, Education and standard of living. It was developed by India’s Amartya sen and Pakistan’s Misbah ul Haq.
- If the country has higher life expectancy, higher level of education and higher living standard will be ranking on top.
- India has Ranked 131 among 188 countries, even India is behind South Asian countries like Sri Lanka and Maldives , they were ranked 73 and 105 respectively.
- India was categorised under the “Medium human development category” which has HDI of 0.624.
- However India’s HDI has increased by 46% from 0.428 to 0.624 between 1990 to 2015, next only to China among BRICS Nation. China has increased its HDI as 48 % and ranked 90th position.
Below are top 3 countries as per Human development report.
3.The HIV And AIDS prevention and control bill 2014 passed in Rajya Sabha.
Rajya Sabha has passed the HIV and AIDS (prevention and control) Bill 2014, to ensure equal rights to person affected by HIV and AIDS in getting treatment, admission in educational institutions and jobs..
Union health minister JP Nadda has introduced the bill in Rajya Sabha and was passed by voice vote. He said that Indian Government will take care of the treatment for the person having HIV and AIDS.
India has almost 21 lakh people living with HIV/AIDS, the third highest after South Africa and Nigeria.
About the Bill:
- Nadda said that The bill aim to prevent and control the spread of HIV and AIDS.
- It prohibits discrimination against person affected with HIV and AIDS, provides for informed consent and confidentiality with regard to their treatment, places obligations on establishments to safeguard their rights, and creates mechanisms for redressing their complaints.
- Bill also prohibits discrimination against denial, termination, discontinuation or unfair treatment in employment, educational institutions, healthcare services, renting property, contesting for public or private office, and provision of insurance.
- The bill also say, no HIV test, treatment, or research will be conducted on a person affected by HIV without his informed consent and also no person should be compel to disclose the HIV status.