TNPSC Current Affairs July 2017
1.G-20 Summit 2017 Hamburg, Germany
G-20 is also known as group of 20 nations, the 12th annual meeting held in Hamburg, Germany.
- It is Group of 20 is an international forum which bring together worlds twenty leading industrialised and emerging economies to discuss key issues in the global economy.
- It also accounts of 85 % of worlds GDP and 2/3rd population.
- The G20 countries are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Turkey, UK, US, China, South Africa and European union.
- G20 chairmanship will rotates annually between the nations, in 2016 G20 was chaired by China, this year it is chaired by Germany and in 2018 it will chaired by India.
2.Treaty on prohibition of nuclear weapon passed in UN
While the world is looking keen into G20 summit 2017, but representatives from 122 other nations did something truly historic by passing the treaty on the prohibition of Nuclear Weapons. It was boycotted by all nuclear armed countries.
The treaty was the result of decade long effort by the international campaign to abolish nuclear weapons also it is a strong reminder to the nations which has nuclear weapons to control it.
The treaty is not expected to have any measurable effect but it sending a strong message that most of the countries not accept nuclear weapons
US, Russia, Britain, China, France, India, Pakistan, North Korea and Israel the nine countries known or believed to possess nuclear weapons is not supporting the treaty.
3.Laid foundation stone for First Maize Based Mega Food Park in Kapurthala, Punjab
Union Minister of Food Processing industy, Shri Harsimrat Kaur Badal, laid the foundation stone for First Maize based Mega Food Park in Kapurthala, Punjab.
- This is the first major step in the history for containing the desertification problem of Punjab.
- This will help farmers to turn to Maize cultivation which need less water for more production instead of Wheat and rice.
- Maize used in many industries like brewery, food additives, raw materials for industrial products like, oil, pharmaceutical, cosmetics , beverages, paper industries etc.
- The Food Park will provide direct and indirect employment to 5,000 persons and benefit about 25,000 farmers.
4.Vande Mataram was first written in Sanskrit or Bengali?
The Madras High Court found itself struggling Whether National song “Vande Matram” was first written in Bengali or Sanskrit by Bankim Chandra Chaterjee.
Madras High court Justice M V Murlidharan has asked assistance to the state advocate general for the right answer.
It was came discussion after K Veeramani has answered Bengali in a competitive test held by teachers recruitment board, but the final answer key released by board was Sanskrit.
Then the judge directing the advocate general to appear before him and inform the court of the correct answer and posted the matter to July 11 ‘2017.
5.Scientist starts probing Greenland shark’s secret to long life
Greenland Sharks are the longest living vertebrate on Earth, with incredibly long lifespans of up 400 years. Scientist starts probing the unique genes which could hold the secret to the shark's longevity.