TNPSC Current Affairs July 2017
1.Malabar-2017 Exercise came to end.
The 10 day annual trilateral Naval exercise Malabar 2017 between India, the United States and Japan had a spectacular end. The exercise aims to increase deeper military ties and interoperability among the three navies and develop common understanding of procedures for Maritime Security Operations in the strategically important Indo-Pacific region.
- The exercise held at 2 phases, professional interactions during the Harbour phase at Chennai and operational activities at sea during the sea phase.
- Sea phase also included Aircraft Carrier operations, Air Defence, Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW), Surface Warfare, Visit Board Search and Seizure (VBSS), Search and Rescue, Joint Manoeuvres and Tactical procedures
- Indian Navy was represented by aircraft carrier INS Vikramditya and other naval ships
About Malabar Exercise:
- It is a Trilateral Naval Exercise which includes India, US and Japan.
- It was begun in 1992 as a bilateral naval exercise between India and US, later in 2015 Japan has included as permanent member.
- The past non-member participants are Singapore and Australia.
- The exercise will take place alternatively in Indian and western Pacific Ocean.
- The exercise will be held in two phases, Harbour phase and at Sea Phase.
- The exercise includes diverse activities including complex surface, sub-surface and air operations
- It will help maritime security in the Indo-pacific region which will benefit the global maritime community
2.Annual Anayoootu, or the feeding of elephant ceremony held at Kerala
Annual Anayootu or the feeding of elephant ceremony held Thekkinkadu Maidan Maidan in front of Sree Vadakkunnathan Temple in Thrissur district, Kerala. More than 50 elephants lined up for the annual ritual.
3.Eraniel palace - Kanyakumari District.
Eraniel palace is located at Kanyakumari district. It was a treasure house and seasonal capital of Venad dynasty and later it came under Travancore Kings.
Eraniel palace lost its glory once Travancore kings shifted its capital from Padmanabhapuram to Thiruvananthapuram. Eraniel palace was also known as “Ranasinganallur”.
4. Sung Hyun Park wins US open.
Sung Hyun Park from South Korea has wins US open Women’s Golf Tournament 2017.
5.Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani assumes additional charge of Ministry of Information & Broadcasting
Smriti Zubin Irani, Minister for Textiles assumed additional charge as Minister for Information & Broadcasting after M. Venkaiah Naidu resigned from the post.