TNPSC Current Affairs July 2017,5
Dr Harsh Vardhan, Environment Minister has launched a plantation drive to mark Van Mahotsav . Van Mahotsav is usually observe in first week of July every year and is celebrated on different days in different regions of country. It aims to keep local people involved in plantation drives and spread environmental awareness.
Environment Minister urged the people to plant native trees because they readily adapt the Indian climate, integrate into the eco-system, have a high survival rate and are helpful in supporting local birds, insect and animals.
About Van Mahotsav:
- Van Mahotsav was first started in 1950 with tree plantation drive.
- It was started by then Union Minister for Agriculture and food, Dr. K.M Munshi to create awareness and importance to people for conserving forest and planting trees
- From then every year, Van Mahotsav observed in the first week of July every year.
- .The Aim of celebrating Van Mahotsav is to keep local people involved in plantation drives and spread environmental awareness.
- Various programmes like screening of short films and documentaries, seminars and exhibition, painting and poster competitions are also organised to mark the occasion( Van Mahotsav)
Post a Comment