TNPSC Current Affairs June 2017, 2
Prithvi II missile test fired successfully
India has successfully test-fired indigenously developed surface-to-surface, nuclear-capable Prithvi-II missile, which has a strike range of 350 Km from a mobile launcher of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur near Balasore, Odisha.
About Prithvi II missile:
- It is capable of carrying a 500 kg to 1,000 kg warhead and is thrusted by liquid propulsion twin engines.
- Prithivi II Missile uses advanced inertial guidance system with manoeuvring trajectory to hit its target with precision and accuracy.
- The missile trajectory was tracked by the DRDO radars, electro-optical tracking systems and telemetry stations located along the coast of Odisha.
- It was previously test fired successfully from the same base on Nov 2016.
- It is the first missile been developed by DRDO under the integrated Guided Missile Development Programme, which was induced into Indian armed forces in 2003.