TNPSC Current Affairs June 2017
Harsimrat Kaur Badal, Honorable Minister of Food Processing Industries has inaugurated Mega Food Park at Rayagada, Odisha, with aim of adding value and reducing food wastage at each stage of the supply chain with particular focus on perishables.
Importance of Scheme:
- The main objective of the scheme is to improving the entire food supply chain.
- It will create three schemes like Creation, Expansion of Food processing and Preservation Capacities, New Agro-Processing Clusters and Backward and Forward Linkages are on anvil.
- Scheme is also to bring down post-harvest losses preferably to zero level, provide quality food to consumers at cheaper price and for doubling of farmers' income by boosting Food processing sector.
- To improve Food Processing sector the union Government has sanctioned 42 mega food parks and 234 cold chain projects with 139 lakh tonnes of preserving and processing capacity of agro-produce worth Rs 35,000 crore.
- This Food Parks will prevent , post harvest losses estimated as 90,000 crore annually.