TNPSC Current affairs June 2017
India admitted as a full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) during the summit held in June 8-9 in Astana, Kazakhstan. India along with Pakistan also admitted as full member.
About Shanghai Cooperation Organisation:
- It is a permanent political, economic, and military bloc founded in 2001 in Shanghai, China by the leaders of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
- It was earlier known as Shanghai Five which includes all the members of SCO except Uzbekistan founded in 1996.
- Uzbekistan was included in 2001 and was renamed to SCO and it has decided to admit India and Pakistan a full members on 2015.
- India’s entry would help to get greater access to resource-rich Central Asian region.
- Central Asia and Russia are extremely rich in fossil fuels, including oil, gas, coal , uranium and hydropower and more.The membership will allow India to have greater access to the region’s resources and facilitate further cooperation with countries of central Asia.
- It also provide an opportunity to address the threat of terrorism which has affected the peace and stability of region, since the SCO has mechanism to deal with the issue of terrorism, the Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure, it will provide India a good platform to highlight terrorism and push Pakistan to abide.