TNPSC Current Affairs May 2017,30
The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare has released the Second Advance Estimates of Area and Production of Horticulture Crops for 2016-17 which was 3.2 % higher than the previous year 2015-16 estimates.
- The production of horticulture crops in the country during 2016-17 is estimated to be more than 295 million tonnes which is 3.2 % higher as compared to the previous year’s 2015-16 estimates.
- The area under horticulture crops has increased from 245 lakh ha to 249 lakh ha in 2016-17 recording an increase of 1.9% over previous year.
- Fruits production during the current year is estimated to be 93 million tonnes which is 2.9% higher than the previous year.
- Production of vegetables is estimated to be around 175 million tonnes which is 3.5% higher than the previous year.
- Onion production has increased by 3 % and major onion producing States are Maharashtra, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Gujarat.
- Potato production has increased by 7.2 % and major potato growing States are Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Bihar, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Punjab.
- Tomato production has increased by 5.1 % and major tomato growing States are Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Odisha and Gujarat etc.
(from Official Release_Pib)