TNPSC Current Affairs May 17, 2017
Union Cabinet approves Amendment of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958.
Union Cabinet has given its nod for amending the Ancient monuments and Archaeological sites and Remains (Amendment) Bill 2017.
Below are the amendments approved:
- Insertion of a new definition of “public works” in section 2 of the Act.
- Amendment to section 20A of the Act so as to allow any Department or Office of the Central Government to carry out public works in the prohibited area after obtaining permission from the Central Government.
- Insertion of a new clause (ea) to section 20-I of the principal Act
- The Act prohibits providing any permission for new construction within the prohibited area of a centrally protected monument or site.
- Prohibition will impact various public works and development project of Government within prohibited area.
- The amendment will now help for certain constructions limited strictly to public works and projects essential to public within the prohibited area and benefit the public.