TNPSC Current Affairs May 2017
1.Union Home Minister chairs the Northern Zonal Council meeting at Chandigarh .
Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh chaired the 28th meeting of the Northern Zonal Council whch was held at Chandigarh. The Northern Zonal Council consists of the states of Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, New Delhi and Union territory of Chandigar.
Outcome of Meeting
- The Council discussed about Need for fiscal and infrastructural harmony in Northern States; Joint efforts for export of fruits, flowers and vegetables from the States.
- Sharing of Water of various rivers of the region and also hydropower among States;
- Controlling pollution in the region by setting up Common Effluent Treatment Plants and Treatment, Storage & Disposal Facility (TSDF) for disposal of hazardous waste,
- It also discussed about contamination of water in canals of Rajasthan off-taking from Harike Barrage and setting up of mini hydel projects on Bhakra Main Line Canal at 27 Sites with total 63.75 MW of power in Punjab.
About Zonal Council.
- Zonal Council are the statutory bodies, it was established by an act of parliament under the States Reorganisation Act, 1956 to foster Inter-state cooperation and coordination among the States.
- They discuss and make recommendations on any matter as a cooperative endeavor for States linked with each other economically, politically and culturally like border disputes, inter-sttate transport, economic and social planning, linguistic minorities and so on.
- It has five Zonal council, Northern Zonal Council, Central ,Eastern, Western and Southern Zonal Council.
- It consists of following members central Home Minister, Chief Ministers of all the state in zone, 2 other ministers from each state in the zone and Administrator of each union territory in the zone.
- Central Home Minister is the common chairman of all the Zonal Council.
- Headquarters of Northern Zonal Council- New Delhi, Central Zonal Council-Allahabad, Easter Zonal Council-Kolkata, Western Zonal Council-Mumbai, Southern Zonal Council – Chennai.