TNPSC Current Affairs April 2017
Su30 MKI aircraft was inducted to ‘Valiants’
Indian Air Force has inducted its frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft into the 221 Squadron, 'Valiants', at its base in Punjab, enhancing the Indian Air force’s capabilities.
The ‘valiants’ which flew Mig-23 aircraft till 2009, and now equipped with Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft. Su 30 MKI is a state of the art all weather multi role fighter aircraft capable of undertaking varied air combat and ground attack missions
- The Valiants were formed as an offensive fighter squadron on 1963 at Barrakpore.
- Squadron was then equipped with 3 types of aircraft namely, Vampires, Spitfire, Hurricane and Su-7 aircraft.
- The Squadron has taken part of 1971 and Kargil war operations
- Su-7 aircraft of the Valiants used in East Pakistan in support of the Indian Army’s blitzkrieg advance in 1971
- The ‘Valiants’, operating the MiG-23s, were the first ones to fire weapons on the enemy during the Kargil war
- Induction of the new Su-30 Squadron will boost the offensive capabilities of the Indian Air .