TNPSC Current Affairs April 2017
1. National Panchayati Raj Day
National Panchayti Raj day is celebrated every year on April 24. The day was marked as passing the constitution act (73rd Amendment) which added a new part IX to the constitution of India, which is titled as “The Panchayats” and consist of provisions from Articles 243 to 243 O
About Panchayati Raj:
- Panchayat Raj signifies the system of rural local self-government.
- It was established in 1958 with the recommendation of Balwant rai G Mehta committee.
- Rajasthan is the first state to establish the Panchayat Raj on Oct 2,1959.
- Panchayat Raj was constitutionalised through the 73rd constitutional amendment Act of 1992 on April 24 1992.
- This act is significant landmark in history as it permits states to take steps to organize village panchayats and provide them with necessary powers and authority necessary to help them to function as units of self-government.
- Since 2010 on this day Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj organises National Conference and awards best performing Gram Panchayats with 'The Panchayat Shashakatikaran Puraskar and Rashtriya Gaurav Gram Sabha Puraskar'.
2.Three Indian Warships Visit Toulon, France .
Three Indian Warships INS Mumbai, Trishul and Aditya have arrived at Toulon for a 3 days Visit, in Continuation of the Indian Navy’s overseas deployment to the Mediterranean Sea and West Coast.
The bilateral exercise VARUNA between the Indian and the French Navy is scheduled from 24 to 30 Apr 17 on completion of its visit at Toulon. The VARUNA series of exercises began in 2000 and have grown into an institutionalised form of interaction between the two navies.
Highlights of Visit:
- The Visit will highlights India’s peaceful presence and solidarity with friendly and like-minded countries towards ensuring good order in the maritime domain and to strengthen the existing bonds between both nations
- After the establishment of the strategic partnership in 1998, there has been significant progress in all areas of bilateral co-operation including defence, nuclear energy and space.
- Bilateral exercises such as Garuda, Shakti and Varuna have been a regular feature between both India and France.
3.Su30 MKI aircraft was inducted to ‘Valiants’
Indian Air Force has inducted its frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft into the 221 Squadron, 'Valiants', at its base in Punjab, enhancing the Indian Air force’s capabilities.
The ‘valiants’ which flew Mig-23 aircraft till 2009, and now equipped with Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft. Su 30 MKI is a state of the art all weather multi role fighter aircraft capable of undertaking varied air combat and ground attack missions
- The Valiants were formed as an offensive fighter squadron on 1963 at Barrakpore.
- Squadron was then equipped with 3 types of aircraft namely, Vampires, Spitfire, Hurricane and Su-7 aircraft.
- The Squadron has taken part of 1971 and Kargil war operations
- Su-7 aircraft of the Valiants used in East Pakistan in support of the Indian Army’s blitzkrieg advance in 1971
- The ‘Valiants’, operating the MiG-23s, were the first ones to fire weapons on the enemy during the Kargil war
- Induction of the new Su-30 Squadron will boost the offensive capabilities of the Indian Air .