TNPSC Current Affairs April 2017
Cabinet approves setting up of Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy at Visakhapatnam
Union Cabinet has given its nod for setting up Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE) at Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh. It was set up as an Institute of National Importance through an Act of Parliament.
About the Institute:
- The Main objective of the institute is to meet the quantitative and Qualitative gap in the supply of skilled manpower for the petroleum sector.
- It also committed to promote research activities needed for the growth of the petroleum sector.
- The institute is decided to set up under the 13 schedule of Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act, 2014
- The academic and research activities of institute will derive strength from the institute’s proximity to sector-related activities such as KG-Basin, Visakhapatnam refinery and the planned Petrochemical complex at Kakinada.
- Temporary campus has been set up from the Andhra University Campus with two undergraduate programmes namely, Petroleum Engineering and Chemical Engineering from 2016-2017 and IIT, Kharagpur has taken up the responsibility of mentoring the Institute.