TNPSC Current Affairs April 2017
India improves ranking in tourism by 12 places -World Economic Forum
India has moved 12 Places from 52nd to 40th rank globally in Travel and tourism competitiveness list in latest report published by world Economic Forum.
Minister of State (I/C) for Tourism & Culture, Dr Mahesh Sharma said that India has moved to 40th place in the Travel and Tourism Competitive Index of World Economic Forum released on 5th April 2017.
- The Key factors for improving tourism is due to some strong policies like visa on arrival, e-visas, improvement in the ground transport infrastructure.
- India also continues to enrich its cultural resources, protecting more cultural sites and intangible expressions through UNESCO World Heritage lists, and via a greater digital presence, report said.
- It also noted that even though health conditions, ICT readiness, security concerns and human resources are improving but remains weak.
- In last 3 years India has cumulatively improved its ranking by 25 places from 65th position to 40th position.
- Spain, France and Germany were ranked at the top three positions, China ranked 12th position.