TNPSC Current affairs April 2017
1.India become Associate member of International Energy Agency.
India has become the Associate member of International Energy Agency which will allow the country to play a vital role in the global energy landscape.
Piyush Goyal Minister of Power, Coal, Renewable Energy and mines , Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and IEA Executive director Fatih Birol, announced India’s Entry into the elite group.
- India is already a partner at the International Energy Agency, but as an associate member which will enhance its negotiating status with major oil suppliers and consumers
- India’s entry, will now involve in the key committees and dialogues of the International Energy Agency.
- India as an Associate member now able to represent the interest of the emerging markets of the world.
- India’s Entry will now make IEA to cover more than 70% of world’s energy consuming countries.
The IEA Was set up in 1974 after the OPEC cartel shocked the world with a steep increase in Oil Price which headquarters is in Paris, France.
IEA works to ensure reliable, affordable and clean enrgy to its member countries and others. It focus on energy security, economic development, environmental awareness and engagement worldwide.
2. Union Cabinet approves 2 ILO conventions on prohibiting child labour.
Union Cabinet has approved ratification 2 fundamental conventions of International labour Organisation for complete eradication of Child labour.
The 2 fundamental Convention of ILO Are,
- No 138- Minimum Age Convention concerning about minimum age for admission to employment.
- No 182- which concerns about the prohibition and immediate action for elimination of the worst form of Child labour.
India’s Ratification of 2 conventions will help in eradication of child labour from the country, as it would be a legal binding to comply with the provision of the convention, which will place severe restriction on the employment and work of children.
India was founder member of ILO which came into existance in 1919, at present it has 187 members.
Out of 187 members , 169 countries ratified convention 138 and 180 countries ratified the convention 182.
International Labour Organisation is an United Nation’s special agency dealing in improving labour condition , living standards and work opportunities to all.
It is established in 1919 , headquarters is in Geneva, Switzerland. It received Nobel peace prize in 1969 .
3. Railway declared Barmer-Munawab and Pipad Road-Bilara rail routes as Green Corridors.
The North Western Railway, Rajasthan has declared the Barmer-Munwab and Pipad Raod-Bilara Rail as Green Corridors. Both the Rail route is in Rajasthan.
With this India’s Green Corridors has increase to 3, the first of its kind is between Manamadurai-Rameshwaram Rail Route and become the India’s First Green Corridor.
About Green Corridor and Bio toilets.
- Trains will be equipped with bio-toilets to ensure zero discharge of human waste on the rail tracks which help in preventing the corrosion as well as clean environment.
- As part of Swachh Rail-Swachh Bharat initiative, all the trains will equipped with bio-toilets by September 2019 .
- Bio toilets are environmental friendly developed in association with DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation)
- Bio toilet is a decomposition mechanized toilet system, which decomposes the human waste in the digestive tank using Anaerobic bacteria which will convert the human waste into water, methane and Carbon-dioxide.
- Anaerobic Bacteria used in Bio-toilets have been collected and analysed by DRDO from Antartica which can work in extreme temperatures as low as -5°C and as high as 50°C.