TNPSC Current Affairs March 2017,23
The country’s first carbon neutral district and a biodiversity heritage-Majuli
Assam Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal has launched the country’s first carbon neutral district and a biodiversity heritage in Majuli district of Assam. Majuli is the world’s biggest river island and to become India’s first carbon neutral district by 2020.
About Project SaCReD.
- The project was titled SaCRed (Sustainable Actions for Climate Resilient Development) which was launched by Assam Government department of Environment and Forest has been initiated to combat climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- The Aim of this project is to ensure the Majuli district has less carbon.
- Sonowal said that Majuli district is facing existential crises, and therefore these projects are necessary to preserve Majuli’s rich heritage and Legacy.
- He also launched through remote a registry in Majuli district which would record and analysis the climate impact in district.
- He also launched “Forest are Lives” campaign to highlight the importance of Assam’s rich forest and biodiversity and urged people to conserve its biodiversity.