TNPSC Current Affairs March 2017
1.TN Government to replace 10% of existing agricultural pump with energy efficient pumps
Tamil Nadu Government planning to replace the 10 per cent of existing agricultural pump with energy efficient pumps under UDAY scheme.
Tamil Nadu has recently joined the Central Government sponsoring UDAY (Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana) scheme has committed to replace at least 10 Per cent of existing agricultural pump set with energy efficient pumps by March 2019.
- In 2010 the then government has provided energy efficient free pumps to around 15 lakhs farmers but the use of pump came to exit few years later
- Farmers are eligible for free electricity only if they use upto 5 horse power pumps to draw underground water.
- But the ground water depleting rapidly, farmers are pushed to use high power more than 5hp capacity pumps to draw water.
- If government replace the existing pumps with energy efficient pumps, it will difficult to draw water from underground because capacity of energy efficient pumps are only up to 5 horse power.
What is UDAY?
Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana is a central Government Scheme to financial turnaround and revival package for electricity distribution companies of India to get permanent solution for financial Crisis for Electricity board. It is introduced in November 2015 by Power, Coal & New Renewable Energy, Minister of State, Shri Piyush Goyal.
Four Important Initiatives:
- Improving Operational efficiencies
- Reduction of Cost Power
- Reduction of Interest Cost
- Enforcing Financial Discipline
2.Offshore Patrol Vessel Shanuk has joined the eastern region fleet.
The Offshore patrol vessel has joined the Eastern Region Fleet and will be based in Vishakapatnam.
Indian coast Guard ship Shanuk has given a cermeonial Welcome at Chennai port which is organised by Coast Guard Easter region. ADGP Coastal Security Group C Sylendra Babu has participated on the ceremony.
The 105-metre-long vessel can travel up to a speed of 23 knots an hour and it was commanded by Deputy Inspector General T Sashi Kumar, and manned by 14 officers and 98 men.
Commander, Coast Guard Region (East) will control the administrative and operations of ICGS Shanuk.
The induction will give a fillip to the maritime protection in the Eastern coast especially in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu,
3.International Buddhist conference conclude at Rajgir, Bihar
The Three day International Buddhist conference began on 16 march 2017 at Rajgir International Convention Center (RICC) in Rajgir, Bihar has concluded.. It was inaugurated by tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Indian President Pranab Mugherji attended the concluding ceremony.
About the Conference.
- The topic of the conference was Buddhism in 21st Century.
- The conference, aimed at renewing contacts and discussing Buddhism’s perspectives and responses to global Challenges and Crisis.
- Pali tripitaka book was released by Dalai lama at inaugural session.
- Over thousands of delegates from 40 countries includes, Burma, Sri Lana, Nepal , Singapore are participating in it.
- The conference includes discussion, seminars and deliberating on how to create a balance economic development and conservation of nature and environment with secular ethics.